The Importance of Communication, Attendance Records and Safeguarding
Dear Parents and Carers,
Thank you to all those parents who have ensured their children are engaging with our Google Classroom assignments – we do appreciate that this is a significant extra workload for you during this difficult time. The teachers have reported some of the fantastic responses from yourselves as well as your children. I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to send your lovely comments – they are very well received as I know how hard all my staff are working to support every Jubilee family in so many different ways.
Since the school opened this term, the staff have made a substantial number of telephone calls to most of you for a variety of reasons and will continue to do so. If you have not received a call to date, you will be contacted shortly.
Safeguarding Duty of Care
As I am sure you are aware, the school is required to monitor the welfare of all its pupils – this includes their level of engagement with Google Classroom. This is because throughout National Lockdown, the school still has a duty of care towards all of its pupils. This is why it is so important that you inform the school office if your child is unwell and therefore unable to participate in that day’s online learning (via email email@example.com)
Please therefore be advised, I have instructed my staff to make contact with all families for a variety of reasons but in particular, should a child’s level of engagement with the school cause a concern. I have a very clear set of criteria which staff must follow.
Examples of those criteria include (but are not limited to):
- Your child does not complete any work on Google Classroom for one whole day without any explanation from yourselves.
- A pattern emerges in which your child is not engaging fully or regularly with Google Classroom without any explanation from yourselves, for example, all lessons are completed except for maths.
Recording Pupil Attendance
For your information, we are still required to maintain pupil attendance records. The main national attendance codes are as follows:
- X is used to record children who are engaging in remote learning (Google Classroom)
- X is also used to record any child suffering from COVID-19
- O is used to record children who are not engaging in remote learning (please note this means unauthorised)
- I is used to record children who are unwell (hence the importance of you informing us please)
- M is used to signify a child is attending a medical appointment (please note, we need you to continue to provide documentary evidence of all appointments, as usual)
Everything we do is designed to support your children which is why it is vital that we continue to work together – we will pursue all avenues to maintain communication with all children.
Thank you for your continued support and please stay safe.
Mrs P. J. Davies
Jubilee Primary School
Tel 020 8310 2933